Broward Democrats support the Democratic National Committee Platform that all Americans deserve a secure, healthy, and dignified retirement.
Protecting Social Security
Democrats will defend all attempts to dismantle or disrupt Social Security through cuts or privatization. Democrats are committed to preserving the investment American seniors have in the retirement system to receive Social Security.
The recently enacted Affordable Care Act strengthens the Medicare trust fund, improves care, reduces fraud and extends coverage to preventative services.
Helping Americans Save for Retirement
Democrats are committed to protection and portability of pensions.
Florida Democratic Party Platform on Social Security
We, as Democrats, support the continuation of strong and reasonable protection of Social Security as a life wage and an insurance policy for the disabled of all ages. We believe:
- The Social Security trust fund must be secured and protected.
- Social Security and Medicare reform should be based on increased revenue, not decreased payments.
- Social Security benefits must keep pace with inflation.
- The application and approval process for Disability insurance must be streamlined and shortened.
- The “no bid” clause in Medicare Part D must be eliminated.
Social Security is not just for seniors, it is a safety net for all ages in times of need.
“To put us on solid ground, we should also find a bipartisan solution to strengthen Social Security for future generations. We must do it without putting at risk current retirees, the most vulnerable, or people with disabilities; without slashing benefits for future generations; and without subjecting Americans’ guaranteed retirement income to the whims of the stock market.”